This nakiri is made from Shirogami #2 high carbon steel clad in a multi-layer soft iron outer; it is finished with a rosewood oval handle with black pakka wood ferrule. It will react but it has the typical kurouchi (or blacksmith) finish which will help protect the knife, although not completely! Get used to wiping after use and that should help!
Shirogami, or white #2 is a very popular alloy in knife making and takes a skilful blacksmith to work with it, it is capable of an incredibly sharp edge but doesn't quite have the edge retention of other steels such as super blue or ZDP-189. It is however really easy to sharpen which makes it a good steel to buy if you want a knife that is a bit easier to look after.
- Blade Length: 160mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 308mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 3mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 50mm Heel to spine
- Total weight: 160 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: Soft Iron
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: White #2
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 61 HRC
- Handle style: Japanese
- Handle material: Rosewood
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
What you get
Knife making is in Anryu-san's blood. A fourth generation knife maker and has been working as a blacksmith for well over 50 years.