A very sharp knife due to its thin blade, it slices through food with incredible ease but beware, it does need extra care in use to avoid damaging the cutting edge.
A versatile all round knife, the Funayuki style of knife was traditionally used on Japanese fishing boats to prepare meals at sea and perform a range of cleaning and prep jobs. In Japan, typically only executive chefs are permitted to use this style of knife because the thin blade can easily chip in less skilled hands. Go steady with it!
- Blade Length: 165mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 315mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 4mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 44mm Heel to spine
- Total weight: 120 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: Soft Iron
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: Blue Steel #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 61-63 HRC
- Handle style: Japanese
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
What you get
Why buy this range
Takeo Murata is a blacksmith from Kochi Japan who began his apprenticeship at 16 in 1965 and is famed for his craftsmanship and the balance of his knives.