We found this to be an ideal all round large chef knife, definitely big enough to work with larger vegetables and pieces of meat but thanks to the fine point of blade tip, it's also well suited to finer work on smaller pieces of food.
For those who prefer a larger all round chef knife, this is certainly one to consider thanks to it's shape and light weight it's a pleasure to use.
The stainless, powdered R2 steel used in the blade construction is very thin which lends itself to taking a very sharp edge and is hard enough to handle daily use without needing to worry about its strength.
There is a specially made saya to fit this knife.
- Blade Length: 235mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 397mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 2mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 52mm Heel to spine
- Total weight: 171 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: Powder
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: Powder
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 HRC
- Handle style: Japanese
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
Shibata san is one of the top knife sharpeners in Japan and his knife making skill extends to his own beautiful Kotetsu range.