May 30, 2017
- 10 ripe vine tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 red and 2 yellow peppers cut in half, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 red chilli chopped OR a pinch of flaked dried chilli
- 6 tablespoons of good olive oil
- Level teaspoon of sugar
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat half the oil in a large shallow saucepan and fry the onion over a low heat until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the saffron if you fancy it, chilli and garlic and fry for a minute or two.
- Add all the peppers stir well and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to soften (press a spoon into them and see if they “give” a bit).
- Add the remaining olive oil stir in the tomatoes, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook gently uncovered on a low heat for about an hour stirring occasionally.
Serve it warm with chicken, fish or pasta or cold as a relish. Will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. It will definitely end up on your top ten list once you try it and you’ll get to grips with your knife in the process.