A very sharp knife due to its thin blade, it slices through food with incredible ease but beware, it does need extra care in use to avoid damaging the cutting edge.
A versatile all round knife, the Funayuki style of knife was traditionally used on Japanese fishing boats to prepare meals at sea and perform a range of cleaning and prep jobs. In Japan, typically only executive chefs are permitted to use this style of knife because the thin blade can easily chip in less skilled hands. Go steady with it!
- Blade Length: 165mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Steel Type - Cladding: Soft Iron
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: Blue Steel #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 61-63 (HRC)
- Handle style: Japanese
- Handle material: Magnolia (light) with plastic bolster or octagonal (dark) pakka
- Restock Time: Up to 6 months Approximate timescale for restocking this knife if stock levels are low
Product SKU: 1212
Our aim is to measure and photograph all our products as accurately as possible but due to the handmade nature of many items, please be aware that there may be some variance in the measurements and that things such as blade and knife handle patterns can vary and presentation boxes may differ from those shown but we will always endeavour to provide the most accurate measurements, photos and descriptions of our products.
Some measurements such as HRC are provided by the manufacturer and should therefore be used as a guide.
Takeo Murata is a blacksmith from Kochi Japan who began his apprenticeship at 16 in 1965 and is famed for his craftsmanship and the balance of his knives.