This is a beautiful example of a nakiri, it has a mirror finish on both sides so reflective it was really difficult to get a photo of it without without a reflection! It is carbon steel so you will get a patina developing.
The nakiri is a staple knife in Japanese households and is used for preparing vegetables.
Product Quick View
Want to see a little more of the knife? Check out what the knife looks like in hand and up close.
- Blade Length: 174mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 320mm (Blade tip to handle end)
- Blade Height: 48mm (Heel to spine)
- Blade Thickness: 2.8mm (Spine width above the heel)
- Total Weight: 169 grams
- Core Steel: White #1
- Cladding Steel: Soft Iron
- Hardness: 62-63 (HRC)
- Handle Style: Japanese
- Handle Material: Oval cherry wood with a black plastic bolster
- Left or Right handed: Either (Double Bevel)
Product SKU: 2052
Our aim is to measure and photograph our products as accurately as possible but due to many items being handmade, finished or using natural materials, there can be minor variance in measurements and things such as blade or wood finishes can vary. We will always endeavour to provide the most accurate measurements, photos and descriptions of our products.
Some measurements such as HRC are provided by manufacturers and should therefore be used as a guide.
Based in Kumamoto, Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.