This is a beautiful example of a nakiri, it has a mirror finish on both sides so reflective it was really difficult to get a photo of it without without a reflection! It is carbon steel so you will get a patina developing.
The nakiri is a staple knife in Japanese households and is used for preparing vegetables.
Product quick view
Want to see a little more of the knife? Check out what the knife looks like in hand and up close.
- Blade Length: 174mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 320mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 2.8mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 48mm (Heel to spine)
- Total weight: 169 grams
- Sharpness score: 243 (See how we measure this)
- Steel Type - Cladding: Soft Iron
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: White #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 (HRC)
- Handle style: Japanese
- Handle material: Oval cherry wood with a black plastic bolster
- Restock Time: 9-12 months Approximate timescale for restocking this knife if stock levels are low
Product SKU: 2052
Our aim is to measure and photograph all our products as accurately as possible but due to the handmade nature of many items, please be aware that there may be some variance in the measurements and that things such as blade and knife handle patterns can vary and presentation boxes may differ from those shown but we will always endeavour to provide the most accurate measurements, photos and descriptions of our products.
Some measurements such as HRC are provided by the manufacturer and should therefore be used as a guide.
Based in Kumamoto, Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.