Completely hand-made in white #1 steel with a soft iron cladding this funayuki has a classic kurouchi finish that will develop a beautiful patina with use over time.
It's a versatile knife and is a great example of Nishida san's skill creating knives entirely by hand in the classic way and with its excellent ability to take and retain a fantastic edge you'll be reaching for this one time and again.
- Blade Length: 177mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 318mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 3.7mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 45.5mm (Heel to spine)
- Total weight: 167 grams
- Sharpness score: 217 (See how we measure this)
- Steel Type - Cladding: Soft Iron
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: White #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 (HRC)
- Handle style: Japanese
- Handle material: Oval cherry wood with a black plastic bolster
- Restock Time: 9-12 months Approximate timescale for restocking this knife if stock levels are low
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
What you get
Based in Kumamoto, Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.