We're big fans of the nakiri as a tool for prepping vegetables as its primary role, and its light weight construction is easy to use for extended periods of time.
The Nakiri is perfect for chopping vegetables. The flat profile of the blade means it's easier to get all the way through the veg to the board and ensure each slice is cut all the way through. It is best used with a chopping action (up and down). The wide blade is handy for transferring your chopped veg from board to pot.
Product Quick View
Want to see a little more of the knife? Check out what the knife looks like in hand and up close.
- Blade Length: 161mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 310mm (Blade tip to handle end)
- Blade Height: 55mm (Heel to spine)
- Blade Thickness: 4mm (Spine width above the heel)
- Total Weight: 144 grams
- Core Steel: Blue Steel #1
- Cladding Steel: Soft Iron
- Hardness: 61-63 (HRC)
- Handle Style: Japanese
- Handle Material: Magnolia (light) with plastic bolster or octagonal (dark) pakka
- Left or Right handed: Either (Double Bevel)
Product SKU: MURA-002
Our aim is to measure and photograph our products as accurately as possible but due to many items being handmade, finished or using natural materials, there can be minor variance in measurements and things such as blade or wood finishes can vary. We will always endeavour to provide the most accurate measurements, photos and descriptions of our products.
Some measurements such as HRC are provided by manufacturers and should therefore be used as a guide.
Meet the maker
Takeo Murata is a blacksmith from Kochi Japan who began his apprenticeship at 16 in 1965 and is famed for his craftsmanship and the balance of his knives.