Santoku translates as 3 uses: slicing, dicing and mincing and if you only buy one type of knife this is the one we recommend.
A standard sized santoku perfect for all the main jobs in the kitchen. This version has a kurouchi finish (also known as a blacksmith finish which helps protect the steel) on both sides. This is a carbon steel knife and will react and develop a patina.
- Blade Length: 157mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 287mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 4mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 49mm Heel to spine
- Total weight: 146 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: White #1
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: White #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 HRC
- Handle style: Japanese
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
What you getBlack cardboard box with red stepped inlay.
Based in Kumamoto, 42 year old Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.