Nishida san's santoku is a very impressive example of a traditionally made knife and with its white 1# steel core it takes and retains wickedly sharp edge that makes using it an abosolute joy.
As the carbon steel and soft iron cladding develops a full patina over time, you'll be delighted not only at how it performs time after time but also how it evolves visually.
Product Quick View
Want to see a little more of the knife? Check out what the knife looks like in hand and up close.
- Blade Length: 184mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 321mm (Blade tip to handle end)
- Blade Height: 51.6mm (Heel to spine)
- Blade Thickness: 3.6mm (Spine width above the heel)
- Total Weight: 178 grams
- Core Steel: White #1
- Cladding Steel: Soft Iron
- Hardness: 62-63 (HRC)
- Handle Style: Japanese
- Handle Material: Oval cherry wood with a black plastic bolster
- Left or Right handed: Either (Double Bevel)
Product SKU: NISH-001
Our aim is to measure and photograph our products as accurately as possible but due to many items being handmade, finished or using natural materials, there can be minor variance in measurements and things such as blade or wood finishes can vary. We will always endeavour to provide the most accurate measurements, photos and descriptions of our products.
Some measurements such as HRC are provided by manufacturers and should therefore be used as a guide.
Meet the maker
Based in Kumamoto, Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.