A beautiful single-edge deba with a kurouchi finish.
It seems to be quite difficult to find a blacksmith prepared to make a deba we've found as there is a lot of work involved. Thankfully Nishida was prepared to make some for us and they are stunning. Used primarily for boning and filleting fish you can also use them for veg. They are a sturdy knife with a thick spine and can be used for heavier tasks such as fish heads but not for meat bones or you risk chipping.
This particular deba has the traditional kurouchi finish (also known as a blacksmith finish which helps protect the steel) on one side, and on the other a beautiful mirror finish.
- Blade Length: 122mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 250mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade Thickness: 6mm (Measured level with heel)
- Blade Height: 41mm (Heel to spine)
- Total Weight: 126 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: Soft Iron
- Steel Type - Core: White #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 (HRC)
- Handle Style: Japanese
- Handle Material: Oval cherry wood with a black plastic bolster
- Restock Time: 9-12 months Approximate timescale for restocking this knife if stock levels are low
Product SKU: 2055
Our aim is to measure and photograph all our products as accurately as possible but due to the handmade nature of many items, please be aware that there may be some variance in the measurements and that things such as blade and knife handle patterns can vary and presentation boxes may differ from those shown but we will always endeavour to provide the most accurate measurements, photos and descriptions of our products.
Some measurements such as HRC are provided by the manufacturer and should therefore be used as a guide.
Based in Kumamoto, Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.