A beautiful single-edge deba with a polished finish.
It seems to be quite difficult to find a blacksmith prepared to make a deba we've found as there is a lot of work involved. Thankfully Nishida was prepared to make some for us and they are stunning. Used primarily for boning and filleting fish you can also use them for veg. They are a sturdy knife with a thick spine and can be used for heavier tasks such as fish heads but not for meat bones or you risk chipping.
- Blade Length: 122mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 250mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 6mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 41mm Heel to spine
- Total weight: 126 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: White #1
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: White #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 HRC
- Handle style: Japanese
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
What you get
Based in Kumamoto, 42 year old Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.