A general purpose knife that can be used for most tasks in the kitchen.
Completely hand-made in white#1 steel this funayuki has a kurouchi finish (also known as a blacksmith finish which helps protect the steel) with a soft-iron cladding. This means the knife is reactive and will produce a patina over time.
- Blade Length: 187mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length: 330mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width: 5mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height: 50mm Heel to spine
- Total weight: 167 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding: White #1
- Steel Type - Cutting edge: White #1
- Left or Right handed: Either
- Hardness: 62-63 HRC
- Handle style: Japanese
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
What you get
Based in Kumamoto, 42 year old Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.