Daisuke Nishida White #1 Santoku kurouchi
Santoku translates as 3 uses: slicing, dicing and mincing and if you only buy one type of knife this is the one we recommend.
A standard sized santoku perfect for all the main jobs in the kitchen. This version has a kurouchi finish (also known as a blacksmith finish which helps protect the steel) on both sides. This is a carbon steel knife and will react and develop a patina.
- Blade Length 157mm (Measurement of the cutting edge)
- Total Length 287mm (Blade + Handle)
- Blade width 4mm (Measured where blade enters handle)
- Blade height 49mm Heel to spine
- Total weight 146 grams
- Steel Type - Cladding White #1
- Steel Type - Cutting edge White #1
- Left or Right handed Either
- Hardness 62-63 HRC
- Handle style Japanese
Our aim is to measure everything as accurately as possible but some specifications (such as hardness for example) are provided by the manufacturer and therefore should be used as a guide only.
Based in Kumamoto, 42 year old Nishida San became a disciple to another blacksmith when he was 19. After 9 years training, in 2006, he went his own way and opened his own workshop. He works with White #1 steel in the traditional hand-made way.